I am here introducing with great pleasure a young pop singer/songwriter from Smederevo (Serbia): Ana Sretenović (Štras) .
She completed her undergraduate and master's studies in the Department of Church Organ at the Faculty of Music Art in Belgrade and is at the moment employed as a piano accompanist at a music school in Smederevo. Over the years, she has been involved in various music projects as a pianist, including the "Belgrade of Equal Opportunities" project, which was realized in 2019.
Her personal music style was formed around 2006 in the synth pop genre. First published song "Neonski Bogovi" was released in 2022, and soon to be expected is a new single "Mrak", as well as her first album, which will include previous singles. Although Ana Sretenović's music career is still in its infancy, her musical works have already attracted the attention of the public and critics who consider her one of the most talented young pop songwriters in Serbia.

Enjoy your reading!


Hi Ana, thank you for being here with Art-Waves. I'm so delighted to meet you and learn more about who you are as an artist! Before we get going, I would like you to introduce yourself to our readers.  Tell us a little bit about your background: how did you discover your passion for music, your studies, music influences…

Hello to everyone. First of all I’d like to thank you for this experience, it was enjoyable to hear all the music that gathered here, from all around the world and in all possible genres. For myself I can say that I started playing piano at the age of 8 and immediately begin with improvising and writing music of my own. It’s like when met music I fell for it, afterwards only the shape of my music kept changing. I went through formal education, studied church organ and got familiar with beautiful music of renaissance and baroque, but my inner ear responded most joyfully to electronic bass and synthesized sounds. 

What is lead you to write music for the first time?

This one is easy if to be honest, I wasn’t fun of practicing piano, it was more interesting to improvise and combine tones my own way.

Who are your masters and inspirational muses?  (not just for music)
As I said, I went through a lot of phases, from punk (Sex Pistols, The Clash…), post punk (Joy Division, The Cure…), glam punk to synth pop and mesmerizing sound of eighties. I’m in love with the music of Depeche Mode and many Serbian authors that are not worldly famous, but in the same genre (Oliver Mandic, Denis&Denis, Lollobrigida…). Solely inspiration for my own songs I find in my life experiences and things that I dream of and imagine. 


Was there anything in particular that inspired you when writing “Neonski Bogovi" ?

Neon Gods was written to describe that moment of excitement that you feel when going out into the night and into the people, when world opens with possibilities of love and touch and all kind of tastes and feelings. It’s about anticipating what is about to happened when you’re putting your “dance shoes” and going into the night.


I would like to imagine your music as a metaphor with certain colors, particular scents, images of scenery … how would you describe yourself?

Music of the neon lights.

If you had to pick one song that best encompasses who you are as an artist, which would it be and why?

If we are talking about my music it’s definitely “Neonski Bogovi” (Neon Gods), for other authors it’s “Self Control” by Laura Branigan (although I prefer version by Infernal). I’m all about the night and love and dreaming. 


An album that changed your life is… 

It’s an album of Serbian artist Oliver Mandic “Dodje mi da vrisnem tvoje ime” (I’m about to scream out your name), that’s the first time I got in touch with synth pop, I was maybe 6 years old and I was like under the spell of that sound.

What is the general creative path of song writing for you? Are you working with other producers, sound designer or musicians? 

At the moment I’m doing all on my own. I compose and arrange my songs and then hire a music producer to mix it all up. It’s troublesome for I still haven’t found someone to work with, like permanently in some arrangement, and also I have to finance my music on my own, which is slowing the whole process. I have some upcoming offers for collaborations, but I’m always open for proposals.

You're publishing your new single “Mrak”. Can you tell us something about it? When will your album be out?

As I earlier said “Mrak” (Darkness) is ready and waiting for some pieces to fell in their place. I’ll say no more and hope it will all be as soon as possible.

 How do you stay inspired and creative?

I dream a lot, as I sleep and when I’m awake. I try to stay open for world and for life in a way a child does.

What was your dream job as a child?

I wanted to be an opera singer.


If you got the chance to write a song based on your favorite book. What book would that be and why?

It would be “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It is simple and deep at the same time, in naive voice it is speaking of very wise and complicated issues of life. I like my music to sound in the same way.

What does music and making music mean to you and your listeners? Tell us about the power of music.

It’s about communication; my songs speak of myself and my experience of the world, one who listens also adds to my lyrics its own experience. It’s a connection.

What are the musical goals you wish for?

To be honest, my deepest wish is for my music to be heard and I’m working on it as we speak. I have plenty of songs that are still in demo versions, I have also song written in English and I’m always writing new ones… I could really use some help, no laugh about it! 

I close this interview with our usual question: what is Art and who are the artists in your opinion?

In the way I see it, life knows to be hard and edgy and artists are ones with the ability to smoothen those rough circuits of life. Art is explaining of life in its most beautiful way. Simple as that. Thank you for this conversation, I very much enjoyed it and it was nice to meet you! 


Ana, thank you for taking the time to talk with me. I hope your music comes to be more and more known and can bring deep emotions to tons of souls. I wish you much success and for your dreams to come true! We hope to see you in Italy for a live show.


To keep up with Ana Sretenović (Štras) and listen to more of her music check her out online on: 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvirr39_w6g
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stras.muz/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ana.sretenovic.391
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2VMXLcsoes4TN31kB9IHNn?si=9023b9ce904b445c


Interview by Marianna L.  for Art-Waves 
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

COPYRIGHT © Art-Waves e-magazine · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS