We are here introducing with great pleasure a young composer, Master of Composition at Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Outstanding Graduate of Shanghai: M° Jie Teng . 
He has won the first prize in the composition of the New York International Music Competition, the first prize in the Shanghai Primary and Secondary School Song Competition, the silver prize in the 20th Zhejiang Mass Music Competition, the second prize in the first Shanghai Conservatory of Music Xinzhou Cup Original Works Competition, etc. honor "Nostalgia" - for baritone and symphony orchestra, performed by famous conductor Zhang Guoyong and Guiyang Symphony Orchestra, "The Last Swallow" - for soprano and symphony orchestra, performed by young conductor Zhang Xujia and Shanghai Jingying The Symphony Orchestra toured in Shanghai, Huzhou, Jiaxing and other cities in the 2021 New Year Concert. Some works were published in the journal "Contemporary Music", and many works were commissioned and performed.

Thanks being here with Art-Waves M° Jie Teng. We are so delighted to meet you and learn more about your music career. Before we get going, we would like you to introduce yourself to our readers.  Tell us a little bit about your background: how did you discover your passion for music, your studies, music influences…

I studied music under the influence of my mother since I was a child. She is not a music practitioner, she just loves to sing. After studying music for many years, I also thought about giving up one day. But when I was about to give up music and choose other industries, I suddenly found that I was very sad. Only then did I realize that I couldn't leave it anymore. Only when I do things related to music will I be more devoted and persistent, and I will be particularly happy when I gain something. I don't think it's a very hard job. In the final analysis, it's because you love it enough.

What is lead you to write music for the first time?

After listening to other people's music, I want to express my feelings in the form of records, which is like another way of telling.

Who are your masters and inspirational muses?  (not just for music)

Beethoven and my tutor Professor Chen Musheng.


Was there anything in particular that inspired you when writing “Jiangnan Spring " ? (we remind readers that the piece received an honorable mention for  "On The Music Waves International Song Contest" by Art-Waves and She Lives)

We human beings have paid a lot to control the unscrupulous epidemic. Everyone is eager to return to the previous life. I think spring is a beautiful yearning, so I am full of expectations while sad.


We would like to imagine your music as a metaphor with certain colors, particular scents, images of scenery … how would you describe yourself?

My music will always be accompanied by a touch of sadness, like a blue ocean, and like a touch of rosemary.

If you had to pick one piece that best encompasses who you are as an artist, which would it be and why?

"Nostalgia" for baritone and symphony orchestra. Because creating this piece not only misses my childhood hometown, but also commemorates the famous Chinese composer Mr. Huang Zi.

What is the general creative path of piece writing for you? 

The content and theme of the thoughts expressed are the primary considerations, and then consider the structure, material, duration, arrangement of instruments, etc. of the music.

Do you have any recording all ready published? If so, could you tell us something about?

Sorry, not yet.

How do you stay inspired and creative?

Constantly read scores of famous composers and listen to good music. Enrich your cultural knowledge and life experience at the same time.

If you got the chance to write a piece based on your favorite book. What book would that be and why?

"Diary of a Madman" by Chinese author Lu Xun, because in addition to the book's strong literary and ideological qualities, it also has a strong sense of drama.

What does music and making music mean to you? Tell us about the power of music.

Music can soothe my spirit. I have absorbed a lot of artistic nutrients from music, which makes me full of strength, and creating music is the best way for me to express my thoughts, and notes are the carrier.

Which are your next compositions on stage?

A symphony composed for double pipes and a chamber music composed of Chinese and Western instruments.

We close this interview with our usual question: what is Art and who are the artists in your opinion?

An artist must be a philosopher, and their works are highly ideological and philosophical. Such as Beethoven, Monet, Van Gogh, Bartok, Penderecki, Chen Qigang, etc.


To keep up with Jie Teng and listen to more of his music follow him on:

https://twitter.com/jieteng11


Interview by Marianna L.  for Art-Waves 

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

COPYRIGHT © Art-Waves e-magazine · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS