I am here introducing an alternative indie rock band from TokyoONE STAR CONSTELLATION”. Their debut album “Star over Tokyo” will be released on March 11, 2023.
The music is heavily 90's / 80's influenced by a variety of Artists such as: Nada Surf, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, The Verve, etc.
"Ship in a Bottle" their first music video is now available on YouTube.
Come take a ride through the cosmos and experience the music of ONE STAR CONSTELLATION!

Marianna L.
for Art-Waves Cultural Association




Hi guys, thank you for being here with Art-Waves. Before we get going, we would like you to introduce yourself to our readers.  Tell us a little bit about the artistic background:  your studies, influences and where are you from originally. How did you start making music together? How did you find your sound?

This a great question and somewhat a long story that I’ll try to condense down as much as possible. Brad (guitar/vocals) & Jiro (bass) began playing together in 2012 in a Grunge Rock band “Negative Zero”. Coincidentally, our original (and best) drummer was from Italy! After cycling through a few drummers, this band eventually dissolved during the pandemic lockdowns. Shortly before the pandemic, Brad began playing side solo acoustic gigs playing covers at the beginning, but then began using it as a chance to explore his more melodic, spacey, and sometimes poppier side. While his influences are rooted in 90’s grunge, he actually has a wide range of influences from classic rock, 80’s new wave, 90’s alternative/pop, 00’s indie, jazz, etc.. So this was a chance to explore a different genre than his trademark grunge sound. After all, once you get your life together and stop being so self absorbed, sad, angry, and far separated from teenage angst, it’s difficult to continue sincerely writing grunge. Following the dissolution of their band during the pandemic, Brad insecure about whether anyone would want to play his new style, originally set out to simply put his ideas down “on tape” (no one records on tape anymore…). He met Dennis Sullivan (Drums) via a response on a Facebook musicians page. Dennis is extremely professional an enthusiastic studio drummer and his playing clicked immediately. When it came time to find a bassist, Jiro was a natural choice. Extremely loyal, consistent, and his unique guitarists POV take on his bass playing fills in a lot of the gaps created from being only a 3-piece. It was suddenly evident this was destined to be more than just a recording session. At first listen the most evident of our sound would be Brad’s influences as he’s writing the guitar and melodies. The sound of the 90’s Alternative/Indie Rock, Dream Pop, etc. cannot be denied. But really, One Star Constellation’s sound is a culmination of all 3 members influences, quite different and very responsible for each individual’s take on their own instrument. Jiro being heavily influenced by Classic Rock, 80’s, hard rock, etc. and Dennis’ tight elaborate drumming being influenced by Jam Bands, Groove, etc.. Our stars align to create the overall sound of ONE STAR CONSTELLATION. 


Who are your masters and inspirational muses?  
When it comes to our individual heroes: 
Brad: Kurt Cobain (Nirvana), Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Jiro: David Bowie, Suede
Dennis: Carter Beauford (Dave Matthew’s Band), Cory Wong Band, etc.
However I’d say that overall sound of the band are a mix of influences like: Radiohead, Nada Surf, The Gin Blossoms, Jeff Buckley, Jimmy Eat World, The Cure, Weezer, the Foo Fighters, David Bowie and all our influences combined. 

What is lead you to write music for the first time?
That was a long time ago for me (Brad)…. I think the first time I tried was around 12 but the first song I actually made was around 16 years old for my first band. It’s a combination of being indoctrinated into music with a father who played guitar and in bands while I grew up (although he only played covers), my love of music from also playing saxophone, but probably more so my Junior High School / High School obsession with Kurt Cobain. Lastly, I don’t think any guy can escape admitting that he also did it to impress (a) girl(s)!  

How did your album “Star over Tokyo" come about?
The tracks on the album mostly were a culmination of songs I (Brad) originally wrote and performed around Tokyo acoustically on his own not necessarily ever expecting to be played in a band. With the exception of the first track, “Letters to Yesterday” I spontaneously created a foundation for while practicing at home and brought to the table and built on together with Dennis in one of their first rehearsals. 


What is your favourite EP song, maybe the one that represents you the most?
I’d love to hear Jiro and Dennis’s take on this and wish they were here at the moment to answer. These songs have been in my head so long and other people’s perspectives are usually more valuable. All songs being written for different meanings, it really depends on my mood. I can never pick just one of anything… “Ship in a Bottle” is my obvious choice for our lead single, and important because it’s the song that started me on the path of writing the rest of the songs and probably best defines our overall sound. But I’d guess my bandmates would say “Letters To Yesterday” as it’s the most poppy and perhaps fun to play. 

A particular question by Art-Waves: I would like to imagine your music with certain colors, with particular scents, tastes...how would you describe yourself? 
This is a really difficult questions, but for some reason the Van Gogh painting “Starry Night.” Comes to mind. Perhaps because I wanted this album to sound like a night time drive or rainy day listen. The colors and emotions of that painting would be a decent interpretation of our sound and vibe. 

What is the general creative path of song writing for you? How does the writing process take place? Do you start with lyrics or melody first? Is there a pattern you stick to? 
My songwriting almost always starts by randomly strumming and finding chords I like, although I do occasionally hear a melody and song in my head and pick up a guitar and play it out. Either way, after I have a skeleton I will begin humming along. Sometimes I sing random words, sometimes those spontaneous words stick and I build a theme around some hooks I like, or sometimes I just create the vocal melody and go back and write completely new lyrics. At the point I have the song complete, I usually can begin to hear the entire production in my head with layered guitar parts, drums, or any other instruments as if I’m listening to a studio recording. This annoyingly makes me somewhat possessive or controlling of the songwriting process. I’m simply an awful collaborator and can never come up with anything good trying to write together with other people. My best work comes accidentally, not planned. But the beautiful thing about One Star is I take these songs to my band members with this strong idea in my mind, but my band mates add their parts their own way take it in a direction with their influences that I would not have imagined. And it usually always makes it better than the strict idea I had imagined. What Jiro plays on bass is very unique and much more interesting than my basic bass lines. And Dennis is just amazing at drums and understands the songs and builds on it. 

How has the Tokyo music scene challenged or benefited you artistically and individually?
There are challenges because as a (mostly) non-Japanese band, we are (mostly) outsiders and it’s hard to be viewed otherwise, perhaps rightfully so. Fully indulging in the Japanese scene has a lot of challenges, but staying within the walls of the expat music scene is extremely limiting. Being from Los Angeles, I often think if I wanted to make it in music then I should have never left. The days of making It big in Japan first are long gone. But this is the 21st century and anything can happen with the internet so global recognition is still possible! That being said, the foreign band scene in Tokyo is amazing and I liken it to Seattle in the late 80s. Very diverse, unique, full of amazing bands and a bubble waiting to burst. If anyone ever wanted to discover an unexploited scene, although no one would ever expect it to be in Tokyo (unless they’re looking for J-Pop), this would definitely be the place! But unlike Seattle, we’re all coming together from different countries, cities, and/or cultures so there’s eclectic fun mix of influences from everywhere. Grunge, Indie/Alternative, Brit Rock, Shoe gazer, 80’s, 90’s, garage rock, etc. all mixed into one scene with strong camaraderie . 

What does music and making music mean to you and your listeners? Tell us about the power of music.
Music is language. Music is the heart. Music is the mind. Music is love. My music is me and music is you. Perhaps a cliche answer but I think most would agree. Music speaks the words we can’t normally, whether lyrically or whether just with sound. Music lets us know we’re not alone and someone else feels the way we do. Music brings us all together and makes everything alright for a brief 4-5 minutes you’re lost in an amazing song. 


What are the musical goals you wish for?
Besides those big rock star dreams of going on tour and selling out theaters or arenas!? I suppose it would be gratifying to hear someone say they heard our songs and it really meant something to them. They could connect, it made them feel comforted, it made them feel anything… At least that’s what I love that music does for me.

Where and when are you going to perform next?
We will be performing in Tokyo at Shibuya Ruby Room for our album release party on March 11 with some of our other favorite Tokyo Bands: Koji and the Moonlanders, Creep Down, and Why Jackal Why. We’ll also play at Shibuya NOB and March 24th. 

Do you have any advice for those that might not know where to begin, or may be too afraid to share their talent with the world?
If you’re playing for the right reasons, music will eventually come naturally. Just keep playing and keep loving what you do. Eventually you’ll only learn by trying, and sometimes failing. But you learn from your mistakes. As long as you continue to aspire for greatness, you’ll continue to improve. BUT always be humble, because there’s always sometime 10x better than you! You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do. If you want to play live, play live. If you don’t, then don’t. But don’t hold yourself back for fear. 

I close this interview with our usual question: what is Art and who are the artists in your opinion?
Art Is really just about expression and creativity. Art has no boundaries. Even what I may not see as art can be someone else’s art. As long as there’s heart, soul, body, passion, etc.. or all of the above, then the product I suppose is “art”.

Thank you for this interview! I wish you much success and for your dreams to come true! 
We look forward to seeing you in Italy!


ONE STAR CONSTELLATION is:

- Brad Didway (Voc./Guitars)

- Jiro Hayashi (Bass)

- Dennis Sullivan   (Percussion)






SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

COPYRIGHT © Art-Waves e-magazine · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS