Dear readers, today we are excited to introduce you to Sweetie KOKA. Her real name is Nikola and this is where the name Koka came from (Nicolette -> Colette -> Koka); she comes from Prague and already released two albums with a touch of rock and pop. Her singing teachers are Lucie Laube and Lada Sailer who are both opera singers.
Koka sings in an artrock band called ‘Rosetta’ and sometimes also sings spiritual music in st. Clement’s Cathedral with the Bohemian Orchestra Prague (BSOP).


Hi and thank you for being here. Congratulations for the special mention at the second edition of "On The Music Waves - International Song Contest" with the song "What keeps me alive". How did you feel it?

First of all, I want to thank you for the opportunity to do this lovely interview with you. I am very happy about it, and I did not expect it. :)

We are so delighted to meet you and learn more about your music career. Before we get going, we would like you to introduce yourself to our readers. Tell us a little bit about your background: how did you discover your passion for music, your studies, your music influences…

I was always close to classical music and also listened to rock music, which I wanted to create. I don't have a music school, but I’ve always had private lessons with opera singers. I really love Aerosmith, Green Day, Måneskin or Lesley Gore and I love Kathleen Battle's voice.

What artistic projects are you currently working on?

I am currently recording my third album and I would like to put together a duo to perform, ideally guitar and vocals. I would really like to perform very often in cafes and smaller clubs.

Going back to your childhood, did you grow up in a musical family?

Yes, I did. Both parents are musicians. My mum is a professional organist and my dad used to play violin at the National Theatre. Sometimes it was really crazy.


What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?

I didn't need any motivation. Melodies just started playing in my head and I've been trying to pass them on ever since. I must have been about 10 when I secretly tried to write my first songs. :)

You recently released your latest single "Bad Boy", how has the reception been so far?

Thank you for asking, not many people know about this song. I have a few reservations about the song, but they quite like it.

How has the Prague music scene challenged or benefited you artistically?

In my opinion, Prague is very specific, there are many beautiful historical places where magical concerts are held almost every day. There’s a lot of musical talent there and I love gypsy musicians and songs. On the other hand, Czechs are not very cultural.

What is the general creative path of piece writing for you?

An idea flies in the air and I accidentally catch it and then work on it. Then I rewrite the songs several more times and I am still not satisfied with them.


Where do the inspirations for your songs come from?

The best inspiration is when someone breaks my heart, pisses me off or cheats on me. I usually write songs when my soul is dying. Something really sad can turn into something beautiful.

If your creativity was a Star, from which corner of the sky would it come and what wishes would it grant as it crosses the night of your mind?

The star would appear without any expectation and secretly bring the feeling of neverending love and possibility.

If music was a magical potion, which album would be your favorite elixir and what spell would it cast in your daily life?

I found that music really is like magic. It would definitely be The Script's because it packs a lot of guts and unlimited power.


"What keeps me alive " is a song that you presented at the "On The Music Waves - International Song Contest" . Was there anything in particular that inspired you when writing this song ? We remind readers that the piece received an honorable mention for "On The Music Waves International Song Contest" by Art-Waves.) What is behind the story of it? Is there something personal in there, like something that really happened to you or some emotions that you've personally felt on your skin? What’s the backstory on it?

This is one of the oldest songs I've ever written. The first version of the song was called 'Ballerina' and I wrote it during class when I was at school. I was very lonely and I was bullied at school, nobody wanted to ‘dance’ with me. It's a song about connecting with nature, loneliness, and most of all, what keeps you alive when you're completely broken.
It can be anything - dancing, singing, drugs, alcohol, wandering the nights and so on. I got the idea of how to finish the song while I was on the train, many years later, it came very unexpectedly. My heart was broken into a thousand pieces and I needed something to keep me alive.


Please tell us about the other piece of music you submitted to the competition “All the same” .

Yeah, the song All the Same is quite experimental for me. I tried to do something a little jazzy. It's about the boys, they usually only come when they need something, they act so special and they’re all the same.


How do you stay inspired and creative?

In my opinion, the more we know our soul, the more creative we can be. I made the mistake of trying to be falsely creative and trying to do what other people wanted. So, for me, the more authentic, the better the result.

What are you next musical goals? What do you desire?

I know I’ll never be famous, but I hope that one day I’ll be really good at songwriting and singing. If I could sing in a sold out arena it would be a dream come true.

What does music and making music mean to you? Tell us about the power of music.

For me it means that I can express feelings and emotions that I would never say to anyone's face. I am a very shy person and instead of talking about my feelings, I prefer to write a song about it.

If you got the chance to write a song based on your favorite book. What book would that be and why?

It would definitely be Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde because that is the one book that has deeply affected my senses and I would like to create something that will have the same effect. It was a hauntingly deep emotion.


What was your most memorable live show?

Every live show is so special. But I really enjoyed singing at the Black Pes club, all the colors and the beautiful mist around me. I really felt like a queen. And also, the most magical concerts are in Prague during Christmas time, the atmosphere is unforgettable and every concert is amazing.

Do you have any advice for those that might not know where to begin, or may be too afraid to share their talent with the world?

Of course, you should start now, it is a sin not to use your gift from God. And to be afraid to share talent with the world is pointless, because there will be the opposite problem, advertising is expensive. So, you should start as soon as possible.

We would like to imagine your music as a metaphor with certain colors, particular scents, images of scenery … how would you describe yourself?

"Purple clouds with falling tears
It makes you scream, it sets you free
And blows into the peony"

Overall, is there something you wish more people knew about you?

I really love flowers

We close this interview with our usual question: what is Art and who are the artists in your opinion?

To me, art is everything. The way you talk, the way you walk, the way you wake up in the morning. We are all artists.

Thank you for taking the time to talk with me!I hope your music comes to be more and more known and can bring deep emotions to tons of souls. I wish you much success and for your dreams to come true! We hope to see you in Italy for a live show!




To keep up with Sweetie KOKA and listen to more of their music follow her on:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sweetie.koka

Youtube: www.youtube.com/@SweetieKOKA

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/intl-it/artist/2uQrlcHTzCXPVt4fHB7Zc7

Interview by Marianna L. for Art-Waves

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

COPYRIGHT © Art-Waves e-magazine · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS